The cause behind leukemia is still unknown. It has been observed that people suffering from leukemia have certain unusual chromosomes, but research has idenitified that such chromosomes do not cause leukemia.
Since the cause is unknown, it is not possible for you to prevent leukemia. But, you can reduce the risk of leukemia by understanding the risk factors and taking appropriate actions.
The following can increase the risk of leukemia —
- If you smoke heavily, it may cause leukemia
- If you are exposed to heavy doses of radiation or certain chemicals like benzene
- If you have previously undergone radiation therapy or chemotherapy for cancer treatment
- If there is a history of leukemia in your family
- If you are suffering from genetic disorders such as Down syndrome, it may ultimately cause leukemia
- If you are a victim of blood disorders, such as myelodysplastic syndrome, also known as preleukemia
- Certain types of inherited problems with the immune system like ataxia-telangiectasia, bloom syndrome, Schwachman-Diamond syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome also cause leukemia.
- High exposure to electromagnetic radiation
- Regular use of hair dyes may cause leukemia
The more the delay happens in the diagnosis of leukemia, the deadlier it becomes. The cost of treatment also increases sharply with time. In such cases, people from weak financial background find themselves at a disadvantage. At Ketto, we try to help such people by giving them a platform to raise their voice for help. Every person who is in urgent need of money to meet his needs whether be it treatment for a deadly disease like cancer or any other personal goal or dream can use Ketto’s platform to start a fundraiser and reach out to those who can help them.